[musictlk] About Sight reading

kwakmiso at aol.com kwakmiso at aol.com
Sun Apr 17 00:05:58 UTC 2011

There was a time when I attended school for the blind.
I remember one time, in music class, I and my classmates were tested on
sight reading.
It was a very short; a few measures.
I had to sing it to my teacher after a few minutes after receiving the
piece.

Nowadays, I am in public school.
Often auditions such as all county, all state, etc. ask for sight
reading.
Once adjucator played for me. Then I played it back.
The most recent audition I had, the adjucator didn't have her
instrument, so she tried singing it.
Yes, it was awkward.
It actually did not affect my score overall, since it was not fair.

There are times when my band class sight read new musics.
I just sit with the band listening to the music.
Memorizing time differs from pieces but usually I learn it in a
managable time.

I think if Braille music or recording is given, or someone plays it for
you, sight reading should be managable.
Miso