[musictlk] sight-reading

Amy Billman amy0223 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 00:09:32 UTC 2011

Um... Hand reading? No. LOL :-)
Honestly it's still technically sight reading even if you're not using sight
to perform the task.
And yes, it is very much possible to do so using Braille music. As a vocal
performance major, I did it a lot for auditions or simply to learn a piece
of music.
Simply put, all you're doing is reading the music in Braille, and if you're
sight singing, you're either humming the melody you just read, playing it on
another instrument, or singing the words along with the melody (if there are
any,) But absolutely it's totally possible. Braille, print, sight or none,
the same skills apply: to be able to look at a piece of music you've never
seen before, and determine the notes.
"We are all a little weird, and life's a little weird, and when we find
someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and
fall in mutual weirdness and call it love." -Dr. Seuss

Amy Billman
Email: amy0223 at gmail.com
msn/windows live: messenger at amybillman.com
AIM: amyk0223