[musictlk] album selling

Kevin Reeves lists at kevinreeves.net
Sun Dec 11 23:44:20 UTC 2011

Understand that the lines are blurred anymore due to the state of the industry. We don't use terms like Professional vs Indie. Indies are considered professionals now. We use Majors vs Indies as a distinction. If you had all the money in the world, you could produce an album and hire the top folks in the business and put out a record that most people would think was a commercial release from a major. That's where we live now. It's all smoke and mirrors. As far as amazon goes, there split is so unfair to the artist that it wouldn't be worth it to try and deal with selling through them. I've got other friends who have done it, who are Pros, in air quotes, who will never do it again because it was such a pain. Amazon is reserved for a major label who have the distribution channels in place so they can sell several thousand and make the money up in volume. CD Baby is no less professional than anything else out there. Your MP3's end up on Amazon anyway, so your affiliates can sell those. You're more likely to sell digital copies than CD's anyway. That's not to say CD's are dead. They're most certainly not. But folks would rather buy digital. It's easier. Hope this gives you a sense of perspective.

Kevin