[musictlk] Difference In Tone

Data data at papermusic.org
Fri Dec 30 17:29:30 UTC 2011

Here's an article from e-How dot com. Personally, I could never tell the
difference between the two by ear because I don't play slide guitar.

	"Slide Guitars
        Both lap and pedal steel guitars are slide guitars, using a steel,
glass, or ceramic slide bar to produce different notes on the fretboard. The
slide is placed lightly on the strings, guided by the player, and slid up
and down the fretboard to produce the signature "slide" guitar sound.
    Strings and Tuning
        Lap and pedal steel guitars are designed in different models which
use from six to eight strings. There are hundreds of tuning possibilities,
with the most common being "open chord" tuning, in which strumming of the
strings produces a particular chord. Lap steel guitars are sometimes tuned
to standard guitar pitch, "EADGBE", from low to high.
    Musical Styles
        Both lap and pedal steel guitars are used in folk, country,
Hawaiian, and some blues and rock music, with the main difference being the
desired musical effect.
    Playing Position
        Lap steel guitars are made to be played on the player's lap,
although they may be placed on a small stand. Pedal steel guitars require
the use of a stand, as they make use of levers and bars mounted below the
guitar, for string note modification. Lap guitars are more portable than
pedal steels, and require much less set-up time.
    Primary Difference
        Laps steel guitars are statically tuned, as in any stringed
instrument where tuning is not changed during actual playing. The pedals and
levers on a pedal steel guitar, operated by the player's foot and knee,
allow tuning changes to occur as the player performs. This additional
function makes pedal steel guitars more versatile in musical keys and
playing effects, but also makes them more difficult to learn."

Read more: Lap Steel Guitar Vs. Pedal Steel Guitar | eHow.com
http://www.ehow.com/facts_5777452_lap-vs_-pedal-steel-guitar.html#ixzz1i2XWI
CnY