[musictlk] musictlk Digest, Vol 79, Issue 5

Kerry Thompson kethompson1964 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 20:53:22 UTC 2011

Hi friends,

Welcome Raquel! I'm so glad to see that you took my advice and joined
this list.

Sorry I've been away from the list for a while. I had a cold, which is
lingering so that I'm basically fine now but still congested. BLEK!

Also, I have been busy. Three of the four songs are finished and
actually printed, but the fourth and most important is not going well...
It occurs to me that I didn't explain my scheme. Well, err, it's like this.

As you all know, I'm a big fan of Engelbert Humperdink. He's turning
seventy-five this year and, well, that's sort of an important birthday,
and I'd like to send him something. I can't, like, knit him a sweater or
anything, but since he's a musician it seems logical to send him songs.
I'm not going to ask him to sing them or anything, just give them to him
as a present.

So, anyway, three of them are finished, as I said, and printed out. But,
the one that I'm writing especially for him is giving me a lot of
trouble. The lyric is finished and I have the basic melody. But, I can't
get it to sound right. It's a ballad, a love song. I can hear it in my
mind, but the notes, specifically the note values, just won't come out
right in Cakewalk. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Getting a song to
sound right isn't usually a problem. But this one just isn't coming out.
It's very frustrating.

Kerry