[musictlk] {Disarmed} Fwd: Hadley Remembers Long Time Friend, the Legendary Sir George Shearing

Kerry Thompson kethompson1964 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 19:58:30 UTC 2011

R.I.P. George Shearing

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Hadley Remembers Long Time Friend, the Legendary Sir George
Shearing
Date: 	Fri, 18 Feb 2011 13:07:17 -0500
From: 	Chuck Young <Chuck at Hadley.edu>
To: 	uinen at earthlink.net

Dear Students,

George Shearing, who enjoyed an international reputation as a jazz
pianist and composer, was not only a friend of Hadley, but also one of
our students. Blind from birth, Mr. Shearing received only four years of
formal musical education. However, during his long career, he wrote more
than 300 compositions and released 100 albums, many of which were on the
Billboard charts from the 1950s through the 1990s. He played at the
White House for Presidents Ford, Carter and Reagan and, in 2006, was
knighted by Queen Elizabeth II. Mr. Shearing passed away earlier this
week at age 91.

In May 1966, Mr. Shearing was honored at a Hadley Women's Board luncheon
where he was welcomed by then President of the Board of Trustees
Clarence Boyd Jones as a new "national sponsor" of Hadley. To hear the
three-minute recording George Shearing made as a promotional radio spot
for Hadley in 1966, click here: Legendary jazz musician George Shearing
talks about Hadley.
<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=10216708&msgid=254150&act=J822&c=225701&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fhadley.edu%2F1_b_MissionHistory.asp%23G>

He again came to Hadley in 1995 giving a concert in honor of our 75th
anniversary. During this visit, Sue Melrose, a Hadley instructor,
remembers, "...It was very exciting to work with George Shearing who has
been such a supporter of braille and a friend of our school, claiming
that his business law course (1973) at Hadley was what helped him deal
with his contracts."

George Shearing, a supporter of Hadley for more than 40 years,
recognized the important role Hadley played in the lives of our
students. A new braille music program is currently under development. If
you wish to make a contribution to support our expanding music
curriculum, please visit www.hadley.edu/donate
<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=10216708&msgid=254150&act=J822&c=225701&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hadley.edu%2Fdonate>.
Thank you for your ongoing stewardship and support of The Hadley School
for the Blind.
Warm regards,

Chuck Young

This message was sent to uinen at earthlink.net from:

The Hadley School for the Blind | 700 Elm St. | Winnetka, IL 60093

<http://www.icontact.com/a.pl/144186>

Unsubscribe
<http://app.icontact.com/icp/mmail-mprofile.pl?r=10216708&l=5693&s=J822&m=254150&c=225701>
<http://app.icontact.com/icp/core/message/forward?m=254150&s=10216708&c=J822&cid=225701>