[musictlk] Channel Failed On MOTU Audio Interface

Annabelle Susan Morison foristnights at comcast.net
Fri Jan 28 21:30:21 UTC 2011

Hi, it's Annabelle.
I have a question for you, and I was wondering if you might have the answer
for me. I have purchased a MOTU 896HD between 2003 and 2004, and it seems I
have run into this strange situation. I just now discovered that channel 1
went out on my MOTU. When the gain is turned all the way up, all I can hear
is a buzz or a hum. The interesting part is, when the gain is turned all the
way down on Channel 1, I get this sound of crackling static, like the kind
you sometimes hear on a TV set. What's up with that? Funny thing is, the
rest of the channels 2-8 work just fine. I've tried everything I can, but
I'm wondering how this happened. Is it because I've had this interface for a
few years now? When I talked to Dan at Guitar Center last night, he said
that it's a possibility that one of the channel components failed simply
because it's old. What do I do? Is there a better interface than this one?
Is there an easy solution to this problem? I want to be able to record with
a stereo pair of mics. Here are the current configurations of my home
studio.
Hardware:

MusicXPC M6 Laptop Computer

Lacie D2 Quadra External Hard Drive (1TB)

Roland Fantom XR Sound Machine

Kawai CP150 Digital Piano

Akai MPK25 Portable MIDI Controller

Radikal Technologies Sac2.2 Mixing Machine

MOTU 896HD Audio Interface

SPL Pass EQ

Focusrite Red3 Dual Compressor And Limiter

Lexicon MX400XL Effects Machine

Furman PL8 Power Conditioner

Canon MF6500 Copy Machine

Viewplus Tiger Professional Braille Printer EasyBraille Portable Braille
Display

Software:

Windows XP Professional 2003 32bit, with Service pack 3

JAWS (Job Access With Speech) 10.0.1178U Screenreader

Sonar 8 Producer Edition

Caketalking 8 For Sonar 8

Sibelius 5.2.5 Music Notation Software

Sibelius Access 1RC Accessibility Scripts

Lime 9.0 Music Notation Software

Goodfeel 3.1 Braille Music Translation Software

Tiger Professional Braille Translation Suite

Native Instruments Kontakt 4

Eastwest Play Virtual Instruments

Spectrasonics Sample Libraries

Spectrasonics Trilogy