[musictlk] Perfect Pitch?

Penny Golden goldpen at frontiernet.net
Sat Jul 2 19:41:43 UTC 2011

I have not weighed in, but now it is time.  I have perfect pitch. It
was probably a little better as a kid than it is now.  But I have a
hearing problem. Get this, and someone tell me if he or she can relate.
I hear perfect sounds in my left ear.  It is my dominant ear; if I am
tuning a piano or whatever, I use the left ear.  Now, if i put my
finger in my left ear, or block it off with a telephone, the pitch of
the music coming into my right ear is higher by a half step and more.
When my 2 ears are working in tandem it is not a problem.  but let
the left ear get blocked by the telephone, and the sound coming in is
in a sharper key.
Now, here is an experiment for you.  Take up the telephone and listen
to the dial tone with your dominant ear.  Maybe you do not know if
you have a dominant ear.  Anyhow, now, flip the receiver to the other
ear and notice whether the sound is the same pitch.  I can tell you
it scared me when I figured out that my right ear, hearing by itself,
heard a higher sound than the left.
But the left ear still has perfect pitch.
Now isn't that one for the "believe it or not" section?
Blessings,
Penny.
If you're going to the convention, have a blast.