[musictlk] Looking For Instruments

Cameron cameron at cameronstrife.com
Sat Mar 5 22:24:41 UTC 2011

Hi.

	No.  I am currently using my Yamaha S90es as my master controller
board.  My interface is a Focusrite saffire pro 24 dsp.  It's a great
sounding rock solid interface.  The saffire 24 interfaces go for $299 and
$399.  I'd strongly recommend firewire over USB.

	The type of units you're probably thinking of, the midi controller
and interface combos, are not that good.

	M audio makes most of them.  I find the m audio key beds awful.  The
built in microphone preamps aren't very good either.  Finally, if you are
using Windows XP or Vista, you would probably have driver issues.

	I think they are okay for someone doing electronic music, where they
are programming and only playing in small parts at a time.

	My suggestion would be to go for a Focusrite Saffire firewire
interface or a Mackie Onyx and get a decent midi controller.  You'd have
better luck trying to find a second hand controller.

Cameron.