[musictlk] Blind Boys of Alabama Facebook page

Debbie mouseless at mindspring.com
Sun May 1 21:54:19 UTC 2011

I hope this helps, and could help you find what you're looking for;
sometimes facebook can be challenging to us with screen reading software!

Description.

>From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Blind Boys of Alabama are a gospel group from Alabama that first formed
at the Alabama Institute for the Negro Blind at Talladega, Alabama in 1939.
The three main vocalists of the group and their drummer/percussionist are
all blind.

As of 2010, The Blind Boys of Alabama continue to tour nationally and
internationally, with Jimmy Carter singing lead vocals. In 2006, Clarence
Fountain, the group's former long-time lead vocalist and founding member
limited his touring for health reasons. Founding member George Scott died on
March 9, 2005 at the age of 75. Another founding member, Johnny Fields, died
on November 12, 2009.

Awards

Releases by the group in recent years have been favorites at the Grammy
Awards-they won the Grammy Award for Best Traditional Soul Gospel Album four
straight years between 2002 and 2005. The Blind Boys of Alabama were
inducted into the Gospel Music Hall of Fame in 2007. In 2009, they were
awarded the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award.

In the early 1980s, the Blind Boys of Alabama performed in the Obie
Award-winning musical The Gospel at Colonus; their involvement in the
production has continued into the twenty-first century, including a 2008
performance in Athens, Greece, near the original performance location of
Sophocles's play Oedipus at Colonus, where Jimmy Carter took over the role
of Oedipus originally created for Clarence Fountain. This was followed by
performances in 2009 in Edinburgh Scotland at the Edinburgh International
Festival and in 2010 at the Spoleto Festival in Charleston, South Carolina

Basic Information.

Website

http://www.blindboys.com/

Source.

Description above from the Wikipedia article Five Blind Boys Of Alabama,
licensed under CC-BY-SA, full list of contributors here.