[musictlk] tuning a piano

Ignasi Cambra ignasicambra at gmail.com
Wed May 25 21:41:03 UTC 2011

Just ask your tuner to show you how to do it the next time he comes to your house. If you only need to adjust a few notes and you have a decent ear, you should be just fine. You will probably need a tuning key and something to stop certain strings from vibrating while you tune the one you're interested in. I don't know the name for that thing in English but you probably know what I mean.
I am of course not a tuner but I can fix things for myself if I need to. Strings are arranged slightly differently depending on the brand of your piano. An other important skill to have is to be able to change a broken string. I personally break them relatively often, and I have some wire at home to change them if I need to. Calling the tuner just for a broken string is a waste of money and time.