[musictlk] Free x-mas songs

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Mon Nov 28 00:20:44 UTC 2011

Ed,
    Some believe that using an "X" in the word "Christmas" takes the "Christ
out of Christmas". The truth is, however, that the "x" is one of the most
ancient symbols of Christianity and is really the Greek letter called "Chi".
Early Christians would use the letter to covertly identify themselves to
other Christians. The word "chi" is closely related to "Christ" and looks
like a cross.
    The other symbol, BTW, was known as "icthys" and is represented as the
outline of a fish. It is an acronym for the Greek phrase, "(Iesous Christos
Theou Yios Soter)", meaning "Jesus Christ, Son of God, Savior". Putting the
letters together forms the Greek word "icthys" which means "fish.
    The "chi" and "icthys" were used long before the cross ever was. In
fact, even before these symbols, there were the symbols of candles, Yule
logs, evergreens with lights and decorations, mistletoe, and stars. In fact,
both the celebration of Christmas and Easter were Pagan holidays well before
they were adopted by Christians and most of the symbols of each were
borrowed from Pagan traditions., so don't sweat it!

Fraternally yours,
Rev. Marion Gwizdala