[musictlk] royalty question

Sheri Wells-Jensen swellsj at bgsu.edu
Thu Sep 8 14:51:03 UTC 2011

Hi, Dale,

I read somewhere once that the management of the
performance venue, not the performer, is generally responsible for
securing performance rights, but I have never seen that happen in reality.

Anyway, ASCAP or BMI (or SESAC, I think, is the other one) should be
listed in the credits for the song wherever they appear, in album
liner notes or sheet music or whatever.

Also, I would assume you could do some kind of title/author search in
a database on an ASCAP or BMI website, but I've never done that.

Sheri W-J