[musictlk] February 28, 2012, Presentation at Braille Institute, Los Angeles: Accessible Music Technology from Dancing Dots [cross-posted]

Bill billlist1 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 17 21:06:12 UTC 2012

[Please forward as appropriate. Also see Dancing Dots at CSUN 2012 in booth
210]

ACCESSIBLE MUSIC NOTATION TECHNOLOGY
FOR BLIND AND LOW VISION PERFORMERS

Tuesday, February 28, 2012
Braille Institute of America
741 Vermont Ave.
Los Angeles, CA  90029

Admission is free but please register in advance.  To reserve your place and
for more information, contact:
Leslie Burkhardt
lcburkhardt at brailleinstitute.org
(323) 663-1111  extension 1279

How do blind and low vision people read and write music?  Can I read
magnified music notation while I play my instrument?  Isn't that braille
music code impossibly hard to learn?  How can blind and low vision people
participate in music groups with sighted musicians?

To learn the answers to these and related questions, you are invited to
attend a presentation given by Bill McCann, founder and president of Dancing
DotsR, and Albert Milani, developer of Dancing Dots' GOODFEELR Braille Music
Translator and The Lime Lighter music-reading device for low vision
performers.  This special presentation is sponsored by the Braille Institute
in cooperation with A. T. Kratter and Company of Los Angeles.

.	You will witness a demonstration of The Lime Lighter music-reading
device and hear ideas on ways to use this new device to improve how low
vision people practice and perform music.

 .	You will get an overview of how to use technology for
scanning/importing, editing and transcribing printed music into accessible
formats for blind and low vision students.  Access methods include braille
music, magnified standard print music, and musical and verbal descriptions
of notes and chords.

* Experience our the new Music Touch multi-media teaching system for braille
music.

.	McCann will demonstrate how he can notate his own musical ideas,
proof and revise them, and finally print them out for sighted people to
perform his composition.

.	There will be time for questions and answers and, if possible, for
you to try using the Lime Lighter and our other technologies.

.	Feel free to bring print music scores with you that we can scan and
convert to your preferred accessible format: magnified staff notation,
braille music, or "talking" score.

.	See the "Presentations" link at www.DancingDots.com for audio/visual
presentations.