[musictlk] Question Regarding Recording Personal CD

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Sat Feb 25 21:39:01 UTC 2012

It is my understanding that the current mechanical royalty fee is .0917 per
track per album. In other words, if you plan to burn 1000 albums, you would
pay $91.70 for every copyrighted track. It is also my understanding that
this fee is set by law and is non-negotiable. A copyright holder can waive
the fee, but may not negotiate a different fee.
    Your project also raises another issue of paying royalties to whomever
recorded the accompaniment tracks. They likely payed a royalty to do so;
therefore, you may be required to cover their royalties, as well as those to
the copyright holder of the original music.

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala