[musictlk] for kevin reeves

Kevin Reeves lists at kevinreeves.net
Wed Feb 29 15:53:58 UTC 2012

Hey Aaron. This sounds like a well thought out plan. My only point of concern is using reverb nation as your full digital distributer. They're a great site for folks to hear your music and for you to communicate with fans, but I don't know about their track record for getting your stuff to iTunes and such. I didn't even know they provided that service. Also, I think that $59 a year is way too high. Personally, I'd go with CD Baby.  Not only can you get into all the major digital retailers, but they will sell and ship your CD's for you. This is 1 less step for you to deal with. Then, you just imbed your cart on your website or whatever, and you're off and running. Also, consider putting your album on Bandcamp. It's free to join and you get 100 percent of profits. They just take the full amount for every 10th album you sell. The reason this is a good idea is because bandcamp allows the customer to purchase the album in every known format under the sun, including flac. As far as your pressing plant, it's an open market. If this company has the price you're looking for, go for it. I actually know tons of folks in St. Louis who are in the business, so I will ask them what they think of this company and get back.

As far as radio, it's a closed market. They will not take unsolicited material. You can't just send them stuff and hope that they'll play it. Your best bet is college radio and your local NPR. That's it. If you want to get on Major radio, be prepared to pay thousands to companies like CDX and such. Payola is again alive and well.

Also look at contacting podcasters. They love playing music and are always looking for content.