[musictlk] Question for you all

Brandon Keith Biggs brandonkeithbiggs at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 05:03:47 UTC 2012

Hello,
Honestly I've also said this once, many others have said it before me:
You can't just "Learn" an instrument. It probably takes 1000 hours of
practice to be passible, it takes 5 thousand hours to be good and it takes
10000 hours of practice to be a master.
Most of those hours have to be under a teacher who will check up on you
every week or so, pointing you at new pieces and fixing your technique. The
others are practice practice practice!
There was a button in my local music store that said: Excuse me, I've got to
practice.
It seems as that is the end of the majority of my conversations. I'm sorry,
I've got to practice, I'll see you later, I've got to practice. I've got a
practice room waiting for me...
What are you doing this summer? Practicing!!!
1000 hours of practice is one hour a day for about 3 years. Every single day
one hour. I round it off to 3 years because of course there will be more or
less days where you can't practice and or whereyou will go over that one
hour, but 3 years is about passible level. Before that what you are doing is
chicken squawks and honking toots on your instrument. I've been singing
about one hour a day for 2 years and I know I sound no where as near as good
as the professionals I hear. I suspect it won't be till about 8 or so more
years before I really begin to notice that I'm getting good. When I'm 30 in
10 years is when I'll be good and when I turn 45 15 years later I should be
considered a master. Of course once I reach the 30 mark I should be starting
my professional work, so my practice will probably move from 1-2 hours a day
to 2-4 hours a day on top of a performance.

I'm saying this because one can't just "learn to play an instrument", one
has to practice to learn. Most of playing an instrument is self discovery
and self experimentation. I believe the performing arts division condones
somewhat these lessons, but many of the serious players on this list really
feel insulted when someone thinks they can learn an instrument over the
phone or over Skype.
I'd be glad to teach you, but not for free and my lessons would come with a
disclaimer that I'm not responsible for any minor errors in your playing. If
you are flexing your legs super hard when you sing, I'm not going to know
that unless I just happen to spot it with my ears and guess what you're
doing. Also, if you're going 123, 123, 12, for the C major scale at first,
it may be a few practice sessions before I catch what you're doing.

We had a huge argument on this at the musicians meeting at the NFB
convention, if teachers want to teach feel free. If students want to learn,
go ahead, but there will be that break between the passible and good
players.
Thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs