[musictlk] A Little Bit on Royalties

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Wed Mar 21 12:39:41 UTC 2012

Humberto,
    The question I can answer concerns the recording of copyrighted music.
First my disclaimer: I am not an attorney. The information I offer is meant
as informal guidance only and should not be construed as legal advice.
Current United States copyright laws protect a copyrighted work for 85
years. If music has a copyright, you are legally required to pay copyright
fees to the holder of those rights. The current statutory fee is $.0918 per
track.
Therefore, for every copyrighted song on an album run of 1000, you would pay
$91.80. If you have ten such songs, that would be 918.00. Most major
copyright holders use the Harry Fox Agency to collect their copyright fees
and, I believe, Harry Fox charges a service fee on top of the copyright
fees. In addition, Harry Fox charges for a minimum run of 500, even if you
plan to run fewer.
    Copyright holders are limited in their ability to negotiate these fees.
They may either charge royalties or not; they cannot reduce the amount of
royalty they receive. You would have a much better chance negotiating these
terms with an independent artist, like myself, than with a well-known
artist, like Neil Young.
    If you have any questions, please feel free to write back. This sort of
discussion is valuable to anyone interested in recording music. I believe it
is our ethical responsibility to our fellow artists to pay them what they
are due. Some believe celebrity talent makes enough money and don't need our
royalty payments. Royalty payments are the energy exchange that is how the
Universe works to create prosperity. As artists, none of us would like to be
cheated out of what is rightfully ours. The music we write is our staple -
the commodity we produce and exchange. Do the right thing: Pay royalty
rights!

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala