[musictlk] Question About Music Instruments

Data data at papermusic.org
Mon Sep 10 12:16:18 UTC 2012

Annabelle,
The sound of any acoustic instrument is always dictated by its makeup. The
standard pianoforte (as invented by Cristofori) is defined by its smaller
size of 76 keys as opposed to the larger 88 key piano that Beethoven helped
bring into existence and was abused by the likes of Liszt and Rachmaninoff.
The pianoforte reflects its size. Try comparing a Haydn piece with a
Beethoven piece and you'll hear it immediately.
Also, the temperament of the two instruments are slightly different since
the harp is differently sized.
A 76-key piano will have different tuning than an 88-key piano.
-Andy