[musictlk] list of Braille music codes

Brenda bjnite at windstream.net
Wed Dec 11 18:32:34 UTC 2013

Good afternoon.

I'm enjoying reading posts from this list and am learning some things I
never would have thought to ask.

Now I have a question.  I play the mountain dulcimer and am going to an
event next spring.  One of the instructors will be giving me a lot of
the tableture and mp3s of songs.  I'm going to make my own notes about
each song such as chords used, time signature, maybe the notes in the
first line of the melody.  This will give me a clue about what song is
being played when I'm with the group.

I need to know how to designate notes and chords.  I don't need a lot of
detailed musical terms.  I can make up something myself, but then when I
get around to seriously learning Braille music I'll have to relearn
things.  I'm working on contracted Braille, then I will undertake
Braille music.

I'm hoping for a list of termms similar to the little Braille book with
all my contractions.  If there aren't many designations, maybe someone
could tell me the dot locations.  I probably need symbols for:
chord
note, sharp, flat and how to write a time signature.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Brenda