[musictlk] can someone make me a chart

Bill billlist1 at verizon.net
Thu Dec 19 16:34:24 UTC 2013

Hi, Melissa,

The B-Flat clarinet is called the B-Flat clarinet   because when you play
the note clarinetists call C you will hear the note known as B-Flat when you
play the piano.

If someone gives you a piece of music and it says at the top that it is
written for B-Flat clarinet then you can play the notes as written and they
will sound at the pitch intended by the composer.  If the music you want to
play is written in what we call "concert" pitch, you will need to transpose
the music in your head so that you produce the notes at the pitch intended
by the composer.  Concert pitch is the pitch that a piano produces when it
has been tuned properly.  Someone gave me a piano years ago that was so out
of tune that it was over a half-step under concert pitch.

To transpose, add 2 half-steps to the written concert pitch.  For example,
if the written pitch is C, you play D on your clarinet.  If written pitch is
C-Sharp, you play D-Sharp.  If written pitch is B-Flat, you will play a C.

HTH,
Bill