[musictlk] can someone make me a chart

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 22 03:16:50 UTC 2013

Hi,

I wonder if such a chart needs to be made.  I have always thought that
experience is he best teacher, and agree with the suggestions given
above.  As odd as it may sound, figuring out how transposition works,
along with other aspects of music, by using your ear can be very
effective.  I'm sure you don't want to be reliant upon a chart later
on down the road.

I say this because I have friends in college---who are music
majors---who have to think of a piano in their heads and take time to
count up scale degrees in order to do transposition.  They've always
played from a printed page of music and never really experimented with
the relationship between their primary instrument and concert pitch
before, so transposing is really hard for them at times.  On the other
hand, those who play piano, or have at least dabbled to figure out the
relationship between their instrument and concert pitch, don't seem to
have as much of a problem.

The good news is that the clarinet and other B-flat instruments are
only a whole step off, which is fairly straightforward.  (Sorry French
Hornists, Saxophonists, etc).  Transposing for any instrument isn't
that hard once you understand the relationship, but B-flat is very
easy to pick up.

Try this in addition to what was already suggested.  Check out your
keyboard (the sound it makes, although different from a piano, is
irrelevant as long as it is in tune).  If you were to play each key
going up the scale, white and black, you would have C, C-sharp, D,
D-sharp, E, F, F-sharp, G, G-sharp, A, A-sharp, B, and C.   So, if you
go down two half steps from C where you started, you will have the
concert pitch which matches to your C on the clarinet.

Generally, if you want to transpose from piano to clarinet, move every
note up a whole step, or two half steps if that is easier for you to
think of.  When trying to transpose from clarinet music to concert
pitch, do the same going down.

Hope this helps.

--
Kaiti