[musictlk] Question about Rights to a Song

Sheri Beth Wells-Jensen swellsj at bgsu.edu
Thu Feb 28 23:20:47 UTC 2013

Yes, you can sing or play a song in church... Unless... you want to display or copy the lyrics: then you are in copyright land again even if it's  an  extra copy for the extra guitar or whatever.  I know lots of churches quietly ignore this and routinely make copies of lyrics, reprint them in worship aids or just shrug and display them on overhead projectors.  If it's a concert, then, again, someone, somewhere should be paying even if it's a cherity affair.
Never easy!