[musictlk] portastudios

Foggddm at aol.com Foggddm at aol.com
Tue Jul 2 23:11:41 UTC 2013

Sheri,
Firstly i have a prejudice against macs so scratch that for me. That being
said  the procedure I use for doing our albums is to record as much as
possible at home then take that to a full fledged studio for the remainder.
Usually I do guitar and bass tracks (using a click track) so that they are the
way I want them. What is lefrt is usuall drums and vocals and bass if I choose
not to do that. It is much cheaper that paying for studio time for the
swhole thing and also allows me to experiment with the guitar stuff. In spite of
all the "pluuug ins" they have in the studio they DO NOT give me the sounds
I can get with my pedal board and stomp boxes. I used to have a portastudio
back in the day and this method worked quite well. Unfortunately the ones I
look at now are digital with imbedded menus etc and lots of frills I don't
need. So if I could find a unit like say the yamaha mt8 I could go back to
doing things the way I used to and cut my expenses as well as speded up the
process for me. I do have audition, reaper, a usb/firewirre interface (the
scarlet i by focusrite) as well as access to pro tools and nuendo with all the
plugins available. BUT again for me I think a cassette system would work
the best and be most cost effective.
The digital stuff is ok, bnot to trash it or anything but with a
portastudio I am not computer dependent. Nor do I have to wrangle with it over
co-opting jaws speech for it's functions. I also found that for my purposes
cassette gave fine quality. As I don't do tons of editing, splicing, track
manipulation etc I think it would work fine for me.
The computer based systems do offer all the editing, splicing etc made
easy. But I haven't had to do much cut and paste on anty of our albums.
thanks
dale