[musictlk] question about performing conducted music

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 06:37:17 UTC 2013

It would really depend on the type of music you're playing and the
difficulty.  If it's just for a recreational group then it shouldn't
be too strict.  I've mainly seen kids do it and worked with a group of
visually impaired kids.  This is where I got the tapping technique
from, since a lot of them were pretty young and had not had a lot of
musical training at that point.  For these kids we would stand behind
them and tap their left or right shoulder when it was time for them to
play the bell in their left or right hand.  For kids who liked to play
both at once we would give them chord tones that could be pretty
constanly played so long as the student remembered to count to 4 and
only play on beat 1.  If this is something you're doing for fun with a
set of bells that isn't as fragile and made for recreational use, more
like choir chimes, then you could try the shoulder thing.

Of course, if you're meaning to do church bells which are actual brass
requiring that you wear gloves and such it won't be that simple.  You
could still have an assistant if you wish who may be able to help with
bell changes, but the best bet for either situation would be to just
learn how to come in by ear and aurally pick up the piece.  Learning
the music is half the battle and the logistics aren't that bad once
you get the hang of it.