[musictlk] question, do you keep your demos?

Timothy Clark Music timothyclarkmusic at me.com
Mon Mar 25 03:08:20 UTC 2013

Hello - it's Timothy back with another quick tip.
 I want to discuss, do you keep your demos?
 when you record do you save and keep it?
 i have an external hard drive and on that drive i have a folder with my name, in that folder is a sub folder called demo sessions and in that folder i have all my demos.
 it's esenchal to keep your demos so as you can go back and listen to yourself and see how far you've come.
 often times you think you sound good but you play it back on a set of speakers a month after recording it and you realize you simply suck.
 this is the type of feadback you can give to yourself should you make a demos folder.
 and here's another tip on this same topic.
 don't listen to them the day you record them to give yourself feadback but give yourself a month or so.
 sure listen to it the day you record it to make sure your levels are set the way you want them and such but after that just leave it alone. don't even go into that folder. if you go into it only go into it to place more recordings into it.
 then, after a  month goes by open the folder and listen to it.
 you're more likely to listen to it as a listener and not the individual who created it.
 it's important to listen to it as an individual listening to it for the first time.
 basically, as a listener.

 listen to it as a listener and not the artist.
 i keep stressing that point as if you listen to it as a listener you won't take pride in it verses listening to it as the artist gives you pride in it and you are able to overlook the offalness of it.
 things to keep in mind when listening as a listener. are you on pitch, could you have recorded that better, does it sound like something you would want to market, does it have catchy lyrics, and, what do others think about it?
 send it to someone you regard as a honest and good friend or, send it to someone you know who is actively working in the music industry who you regard as a friend.
 just as an offer, i would be happy to listen to your music.
 it's nice to be able to network.  another place to send it is to the folks at recordingmag.com and they'll review it for you.
 well, that's all for now, stay tuned for another quick tip.
 ps.
 for cool stuff subscribe to my podcast. the music nation podcast.
 http://www.alonetone.com/users/timothyclark13.rss

Timothy
 Your friend in the music industry
 http://www.timothyclarkmusic.tumblr.com