[musictlk] Tips for Stringing a Guitar

Data data at papermusic.org
Wed May 22 18:14:25 UTC 2013

I prefer tuning by ear also, but it is not always possible. I often have to
tell my band to just be quiet for a little bit while I tune. If you're
playing with a piano, always tune to the piano, since it is the only
instrument that can't do anything about it (unless you just happen to have a
qualified piano tuner in your band, and an hour or so to wait).

Other thoughts about stringing a guitar:
You should only have just enough string around pinion to keep the string
secure. Never overlap the string upon itself as this will cause unstable
tuning. Also, always wrap the strings from the center of the head outward.

Tune each string from under the note. So, if the string is sharp, take it
flat then tune it back up into pitch from underneath.

I use the harmonic method to tune my guitars. Start by tuning the A-string
(the low E-string is too low to get a good tuning), then use the harmonics
to tune the D, the G, and then both E-strings. Then you have to fret a B on
the third string to tune that and check the B with the A string on the 14th
fret. This not only tunes each string, but tempers the entire instrument.

When tuning the entire band together, minor chords are better than major.
The minor third is easier to tune than the major third. I usually ask every
one to play these chords: A minor, D minor, G minor, and then E minor to get
the notorious B-string tuned.

If your electric guitar always sounds out of tune, it's probably your
playing technique that needs adjusting. Often, electric guitars have such a
sensitive action, that over-pressing your chords bends the strings out of
tune. Relax and apply just as much pressure that you need. This is tricky
for someone who likes to switch from acoustic to electric and back again
often.

Likewise, if your guitar is falling out of tune often, you may be
over-strumming. If it's not loud enough, turn up the monitors a little bit.
Not only will strumming too hard trash your strings, it will also trash your
shoulder. Also, make sure your hands are clean when you play. Skin oils are
murder on strings.

I hope this helps a little.
Sincerely,
Andy English
www.papermusic.org <http://www.papermusic.org>
Music consultation and transcription services.