[musictlk] BMC: Braille Music Compiler

Mario Lang mlang at tugraz.at
Tue Nov 5 08:00:55 UTC 2013

Leslie Hamric <lhamric930 at comcast.net> writes:

> Hi Mario.  I have tried entering some braille music with the braille table
> selected as brf.  I am getting the message: unable to translate music, try
> again.  I am entering U.S. Unicode braille.  Any thoughts as to what might
> be going on?  You may contact me off list. Thanks.

It would help if you would post an example of what you have tried.
Some things that immediately come to mind:
 * Every piece of music needs to end with the final barline sign.
   This is so that you can enter several parts into a single score.
 * As is always the case with braille music, the specified time
   signature needs to match with the entered measure lengths exactly.
   If you are using anything else but 4/4 time, you need to specify
   this at the beginning of the piece.

Here is a small example that I just entered into bmc.delysid.org:

⠼⠉⠲
⠨⠳⠙⠑⠋⠛⠀⠳⠦⠹⠦⠹⠀⠨⠪⠛⠓⠊⠚⠀⠹⠦⠨⠹⠦⠹
⠻⠓⠛⠋⠑⠀⠫⠛⠋⠑⠙⠀⠺⠙⠑⠋⠙⠀⠫⠱⠧⠣⠅

You can also use anacrusis (pickup), like in this example:

⠐⠓⠀⠙⠑⠋⠙⠑⠋⠑⠋⠀⠸⠚⠙⠑⠚⠙⠚⠙⠣⠅

The braille music code tutorial at http://bmc.branchable.com/tutorial/
now also includes "Edit" links which paste the example into
bmc.delysid.org directly and let you edit and experiment with it.  In
other words, you can use the examples in the tutorial as a basis for new
experiments.  You can, for instance, while learning braille music code,
change aspects of the examples you are looking at, and hear (and see) the
difference immediately.

This is something I always longed for when I was still learning to read
braille music code.  A *lot* more interactivity, not just a silent piece
of paper.

--
Regards,
      Mario Lang