[musictlk] Can anyone help me with braille music?

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Sat Nov 30 02:24:30 UTC 2013

Marissa,

It can be hard sometimes, I do understand that.  Another thing that some of us have done is to have a student who plays the same part record it for us.  When in college, it is even possible to have that person
be considered a reader and have them get some pay.  In high school that option is not quite as easy, although it might be something that can be worked out.  Another approach is to buy a small recorder and
record from where you sit during rehearsals with your teacher's permission.  You probably sit near other students playing the same part, so a recording would tend to get the entire band but get your part clearer.
There may be other variations on this as well that might work for you.

Again, learning braille music if one loves music and takes it seriously is very important, and I encourage you to keep working on that.  I think others on this list who are more serious and better musicians than I
will ever be, will probably confirm that we need to develop other techniques as well to be successful.  The technique that works for each of us will vary with our particular tallent and strength.  There are ways
that the software Bill offers can sometimes fill gaps as well.  If you are talking with him off list as I think I read, he probably has already talked about that with you or at least has an idea if he has something that
might help.  Sometimes we have to use our imaginations to succeed, and it really doesn't matter if it is fair or not, it's just the way it is.  With imagination, we can do more than many think we can, and sometimes
we even surprise ourselves.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson
the Dancing Dots