[musictlk] Help from Leslie for Winy

Linda Mentink mentink at frontiernet.net
Fri Oct 25 22:27:00 UTC 2013

Hi Linda.  According to my sighted husband who is a cellist, the bowing
signs are as follows: up bow sign looks like a capital V with the opening at
the top. Down bow sign looks like a squared off capital u with the opening
at the bottom.  As for note reading, I would suggest that this person keep
at it with her student.  Perhaps she could put some dymo tape with some
braille labels on her chart she made with Lime.  She could say something
like, "Here's middle C.  Right by my finger."  Another thing to keep in mind
is that when the notes go up visually, the melody goes up and when the notes
go down visually on the staff, the melody goes down.  Here are some
sentences that have helped me remember lines/spaces: lines in treble cleff:
Empty garbage before Dad flips.  Spaces in treble cleff: Follow a child
everywhere.  Lines in bass cleff: Grizley bears don't fly airplanes.  Spaces
in treble cleff: All cows eat grass.  Hope this helps.
Leslie