[musictlk] BMC: Braille Music Compiler

Mario Lang mlang at tugraz.at
Wed Oct 30 15:18:20 UTC 2013

Brandon Keith Biggs <brandonkeithbiggs at gmail.com> writes:

> This is great!

Thanks!

> Is there a manual on how to use it?

There is no user-manual yet.  The closest to a manual is probably the
tutorial.  All the music examples in there are already handled as such.
http://bmc.branchable.com/tutorial/

For more inspiration, look at the goldberg braille files.  I basically
support section-by-section format, optionally with right and left hand
sections.  No support for bar-over-bar yet, but I guess nobody would
enter that by hand anyways.
Section paragraphs need to start with at least two spaces indent, and
the remaining lines of a paragraph need to start at the beginning of the
line.  This is so that hand signs placed in the middle of a paragraph
(if a part of a staff is played with the other hand) are not
accidentally recognized as section beginnings.
For now, music *needs* to end with a final barline sign.
I do plan to add different section-by-section indenting as well, like
the first line has no indent, and the remaining lines have indent.
However, this is not done yet.  If you have a prefered formatting that
you'd like to see supported, explain it to me and I will give it a
thought.

> I would like to know how to write my Braille code to be formatted
> correctly.

The idea is to eventually accept everything that is valid braille music
code.
But thats a rather hard task as you can imagine.

I am planning to impelemnt a web service which would allow you to enter
braille music, and get a MIDI or PDF back.  However, that will take a
few weeks still before it is online.
In the meantime, you can always send me braille snippets, and I can
translate them for you using BMC, if you are interested to experiment a
bit earlier.

> I would also love to be able to change a BRF to print. I write all my
> Braille music on my Braille note then move it to the computer.

Thats what BMC is actually for.  And yes, BRF is already supported.
Actually, I have braille tables for almost all known braille locales.
I personally prefer to keep braille music in unicode braille format
though.  Its time that we finally kill the locale problems.  And with
braille music, we actually *can*, because all that matters there are
dots, and not characters.

--
Regards,
      Mario