[musictlk] Just curious

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 6 05:33:18 UTC 2013

Hi,

If it was a one time thing I honestly wouldn't worry about it too
much; but if you're going to do more of this kind of thing here is
what I would recommend as a current music major taking theory 3.

For rhythm sheets, assuming that the rhythms are notated not in word
format you may need to get the music transcribed.  It is much more
complex than just asking the person leading the workshop if they can
just email you the word document, as that might not be very helpful on
its own.  I would ask about a week in advance so that if the rhythms
are in notation they can be transcribed.  Then you will be free to
read them on a notetaker or emboss them out if you prefer.

This is a tried and true way of doing it, but the other way might
require some creativity on your part.  If you do get a word file and
don't have enough time to get the music transcribed, you could have
someone read off the note values for you and type them into a
notetaker document for easy access.  Often what I do on rhythmic
dictation tests, since it's a little less of a hassle than dealing
with Lime for something so short, is I'll use letters to notate
rhythms.  For example:

4-4 time: qqeeq ssssssssDEsDEs DHq.

I always capitalize my dotted notes, (DH for dotted half and DQ for
dotted quarter, etc) to separate them out from the lowercase and draw
attention to them for my professor.  He seems to understand it pretty
well and it makes reading and singing along with rhythms very easy
because it isn't as cumbersome as braille music can be.  Don't get me
wrong; I love braille music, but when you're in a pinch or are just
doing a few exercises at an isolated or infrequent event a system like
that can simplify things quite a bit.

Hope this helps.

--
Kaiti