[musictlk] having dccsccculty with choir director

Kelsey Nicolay piano.girl0299 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 20:15:23 UTC 2014

Hello,
I posted a similar question before, but here goes.  I am in a
community choir that is strictly volunteer, although we have to
pay dues at the beginning of the season.  I really enjoy the
group and have made some good friends.  However, I am having
trouble getting the director to accommodate my blindness.  He
does make sure I have all the music I need and that I have a
music stand, but the problem is that I cannot see when he is
conducting.  I can get when to come in based on reading the
Braille score, but the problem is when there is a fermata and he
holds it for as long as he wants.  I have no way of knowing when
to cut off.  I suggested having my neighbor tap me on the arm
when it is time to release, but this director wants no part of
that, saying that it would cause a distraction.  While I
understand where he's coming from with that, without that
feedback though, I'm basically left in the dark about when he is
going to release a certain note.  I sent an email to the group's
president explaining that for a blind person, there really is no
way for them to know when to cut off without some sort of tactile
cue from a neighbor and I asked if the three of us could meet to
come up with a plan that meets everyone's needs and draws as
little attention to me as possible.  Does anyone have any ideas
on how a sighted neighbor could relay such information to me
tactually without drawing attention to myself or them? I hope to
have this discussion near the beginning of the season.  I have a
friend in the group who I know outside of the chorus, but she's
in a different section, so she really can't help much.  I would
appreciate any suggestions you all might have.  Also, your
suggestions will be shared with the president and the director,
although I will remove your names from them.  If you do not want
your opinion to be shared, please write me offlist and say so.
I'm going to compile a document with all your suggestions.
Thanks,
Kelsey Nicolay