[musictlk] having dccsccculty with choir director

Amy Billman amy0223 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 17:10:39 UTC 2014

Yes, I completely agree.
I can and do read Braille music, however I have always done the majority of
my learning by ear; most all of it right there in rehearsal situations, and
never had a problem
The professional choirs I've been in where nobody used music even on stage
during performances, I did have it in braille to make sure that I had it
completely 100 percent down so would use the music to practice on my own
time if a part was particularly difficult.

In other choir situations where everyone had music I would keep my music and
stand as a formality, and most of the time I ended up using it for words
more than anything else.
But sighted people have told me that it looks sorta odd if everyone else has
stands and one person doesn't, so I had mine up there too to go along with
the norm.

You really gotta be careful not to rely too heavily on reading your music
sothat you're not properly concentrating on what the director and the
singers around you are doing.
Sure he can hold that note for as long as he sees fit given what it is, but
you shouldn't have a problem cutting off with the rest of the group if you
use your ears, really.
I also realize that this was probably not the advice you were in search of,
but it's dead on so do with it what you will.

Amy Billman
Email:
 Amy0223 at gmail.com
Connect with me on LinkedIn: