[musictlk] creating braille music scores

Bill billlist1 at verizon.net
Wed Dec 10 18:55:05 UTC 2014

Katie wrote:

> Availability with NVDA would really be something.  Think about it: if at
some point Goodfeel were available to windows users with NVDA scripts, and
Mac users with voiceover, no one would need to pay for a screen reader if
they don't use Jaws.  Everyone would be covered.

Believe me, Kaiti, we really have been thinking about it.  It would be a
win-win for all if our access method to the Lime music notation editor
worked with all major screen readers and on both the Windows and Mac
platforms.  Increasing direct support for other screen readers is a priority
for us for the coming new year.

In the meantime, I want to stress a couple of important points to bear in
mind:

1. Anybody can use our Lime Aloud scripts that give you detailed access to
the Lime notation editor with the free, 40-minute demo version of JAWS
available as a free download from Freedom Scientific's website.  As you may
know, you have the use of the full version of JAWS for up to 40 minutes at
which time you must reboot your computer in order to get 40 more minutes of
use.  Sure, it's a nuisance to have to reboot every 40 minutes, but the
price is right.  And there is no problem with installing JAWS on a machine
which already has another screen reader installed.  You can use your
favorite screen reader for everything else and just load JAWS when you want
to use Lime with the Lime Aloud scripts from Dancing Dots.  You will find a
brief audio presentation  demonstrating our access solution to the Lime
notation editor by going to www.DancingDots.com and then following the
"Presentations" link, then select the Lime Aloud demo from the list.

2. The Lime Aloud scripts allow you to hear a detailed verbal description of
each note in a score.  At the minimum, it tells you the pitch, octave, and
duration of the current note.  The scripts also handle the presentation of
the current measure of music as braille music on your braille display.
However, it is possible to use Lime without the scripts but access is fairly
basic and not what I would consider at an acceptable level to allow me to
read and write scores.

3. We package our accessible music software as a collection of a few
software titles: SharpEye Music Reader, Lime, Lime Aloud scripts for JAWS
users, and, of course, the GoodFeelR Braille Music Translator.  We ship no
special scripts to work with SharpEye or GoodFeel so you lose nothing by
using those programs with your favorite screen reader.

4.  As a blind musician myself and the founder of a company that has done
nothing for the past 22 years but develop and adapt technology for blind
musicians, I have to say that it is a bit painful to hear anyone make
statements intimating that we only care about blind musicians who use a
certain screen reader.  Our mission is to support all blind and low vision
musicians and those who educate and collaborate with them.  That being said,
if you have never written even a simple computer program, you may not
realize that designing, coding, testing and fixing software code takes
months and even years of effort.  Our Lime Aloud scripts, for example, have
taken a very long time to work as well as they do now with JAWS (and we are
still not satisfied that they work as well as they should).

It's wonderful that other screen readers now offer a scripting facility.  I
do wish I could pick up a magic wand and wave it over a copy of the
programming statements for the Lime Aloud scripts for JAWS and, after the
appropriate poofing sounds have died down and the smoke has cleared, walk
away with a perfectly comparable set of scripts for Window-Eyes or any other
screen reader.  However, the reality is that in order to have that
comparable functionality, we must essentially rewrite our scripts for the
non-JAWS screen reader.  That is a daunting task for a small but mighty
company like ours.

But ending up where I started, we do have some workable ideas to get us much
closer to replicating the current functionality with other screen readers.
Of course, when we have something concrete to share, we will be on the
rooftops shouting about it.  And, if you have read this far in my
not-so-brief reply, thank you for letting me vent a bit.  (smile)

Regards,
Bill McCann
President
Dancing Dots