[musictlk] Hi, I'm back!

Lauren Merryfield lauren at catlines.com
Fri Feb 7 06:08:42 UTC 2014

Hi,

I've been on and off of this list, as with some others. Sometimes I get too
many emails. But I have a question that someone may have already given me
the answer to but I'll post my question here anyway because there might be
more than one answer.

I have a question for blind musicians out there. I have two different tuners
for my guitar. One is a pitch pipe with the six notes corresponding to the
notes for the 6 guitar strings. The other is a pitch pipe type tuner that is
round and plays the twelve notes of a chromatic scale. The notes are all
whole tones, sharps or flats.

Sighted people can get tuners that visually show them whether their guitar
string or any other instrument is in tune or not and it can show quarter
tones between whole tones, sharps and flats.

My question is:is there such a thing as an accessible tuner that blind
musicians can use that will tell you the exact pitch of what you are
playing, including quarter tones? Is there such a pitch pipe that would play
the sounds of quarter tones or a tuner that tells you by synthetic speech or
some other way, audible or tactile?

In American and European music, we mostly deal with whole tones, sharps and
flats, however in music of other countries such as India, the Middle East,
Asia, etc, they make use of quarter tones.

Well, I sure hope there is someone on this list who knows what in the world
I am asking (it's new to me) and can point me to such a tuner.

Thanks

Lauren

PS:Someone did suggest the HotPaw talking tuner for the iPhone. I discovered
it is only 99 cents so whenever I can get my crazy password done correctly,
I'll download that app.

advice from my cats: "meow when you feel like it."

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." ~

Albert Schweitzer

curious about Thirty-One? New spring lineup now available:

www.LettingTheCatOutOfTheBag.com

Purchase my new book:there's more than one way to be okay at:

www.TheresMoreThanOneWay.com

Cat lovers, please visit me at:

www.catlines.com