[musictlk] Drop-C Tuning?

National Association of Guide Dog Users blind411 at verizon.net
Thu Feb 13 13:15:54 UTC 2014

Dear All,
	This explanation does not match my understanding of drop-C tuning;
rather, it seems to simply tune the whole guitar down a major third,
resulting in the tuning being C F Bb E G C. From a technical perspective,
drop-C tuning refers to dropping the sixth to a c and the fifth to a G
(creating a fifth), rather than the usual fourth)  and the remaining strings
staying in standard tuning. This tuning can be heard in Lindsey Buckingham's
"Never Going Back Again" by clicking on the following link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHyQS9blvIc

	As a classically trained, more theoretical guitarist I wanted to
know if I was mistaken, and did some research on drop-C tuning and found the
following that seems to confirm my understanding and is supported by a
number of other explanations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drop_C_tuning

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Peace!
Marion