[musictlk] would this make you uncomfortable

Kelsey Nicolay piano.girl0299 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 18:29:06 UTC 2014

Hello,
I was given a list of voice teachers by my choir president.
There were about 10 or 15 of them on the list.  One of the
teachers I contacted got back to me (this was a couple months
ago) and he told me that he would do lessons in his apartment in
Montville Township which is part of Medina.  He also said that he
does not play any instruments and therefore relies on the use of
backing tracks to teach his students.  He also does not have a
music degree.  Rather, he bases his teaching off of performance
experience.  I know there are some teachers who teach like that
and that's not what makes me uncomfortable.  The part I am a
little uneasy about is taking lessons from a male teacher in an
apartment.  Part of the reason I'm considering him is because
he's in my budget.  He also suggested that I should contact the
high school choir director (which by the way I have no way to
reach) and request a practice room at the high school.  I am
wondering if you guys think this approach sounds suspicious at
all.  I would be ok studying with a male teacher, but only if it
was in a place where there would be others around.  Otherwise, I
would definitely prefer to study with a female.  What do you
think? Are my concerns about this teaching style valid or should
I contact him again and see if he can come up with a different
approach?
Thanks,
Kelsey Nicolay