[musictlk] The Circle of Fifths

Brandon Keith Biggs brandonkeithbiggs at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 23:42:33 UTC 2014

Hello,
Honestly I'm not sure what those are, they may be an etude from a book.
Circle of 5ths is:
fcgdaeb
or for flats
beadgcf
What you do for the first numonic is count on your fingers how many
sharps the key has, then what ever note in the order you land on, go up
a step in the scale. For example:
1 sharp I would count 1 letter in the first numonic which is f. From f I
go up a step to G. I know then that the sharps in f major are f# and the
key is g.
For 4 sharps I count 4 letters in: fcgd and go up a step to e. This
means that the key is e and the sharps are f#c#g#d#.
For flats it is a little more simple:
You count the number of flats on your fingers and then subtract one
number and count the letters and that is your key. The number is the
flats. For example, 2 flats you go: be, count back one letter and you
have bb (for the second one all those notes are flat keys). Then you
know bb and eb are the 2 flats in bb major.
3 flats you count 3 over, bb, eb, ab. You count one back and get eb,
then you know the key is eb major. You then know that the flats are bb,
eb and ab in eb major.
For minor scales, just go 3 notes down the scale and you will get it.
For example, the minor scale with the same sharps as c major is a. The
same sharp scale that has the same sharps as e is c#.
Just remember that for sharps c major has 0 sharps. For flats f major
has 1 flat.
thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs