[musictlk] "Visually-impaired musicians' lives" project, Institute of Education, University of London

David Baker David.Baker at ioe.ac.uk
Tue Jul 29 13:36:37 UTC 2014

Dear Fellow Musicians,

Thank you to everyone who has completed the "Visually-impaired musicians' lives" survey recently. We have been delighted to run this project at the Institute of Education, University of London, collaborating with the Royal Academy of Music and Royal National Institute of Blind People (read http://vimusicians.ioe.ac.uk<http://vimusicians.ioe.ac.uk/>) and it has already attracted a lot of international interest. The information we collect is being hugely helpful in developing a portrait of blind and partially-sighted musicians and the issues surrounding their lives. Please do tell your colleagues and friends about this endeavour. If you have yet to complete the Survey Monkey online questionnaire and are able to help us, please click the link below. We are interested in hearing from any type of adult musician, from beginners learning an instrument or to sing for the first time to professionals; we also want to hear from people engaged in various contexts and genres, e.g. jazz, pop, traditional and classical musicians.  Please just mention your country somewhere on the questionnaire. If you would rather complete the questionnaire by telephone or Skype, please contact me, David Baker at david.baker at ioe.ac.uk<mailto:david.baker at ioe.ac.uk> to make the arrangements. It would be really great to meet you.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/V8R9Q3X

We are planning a London conference in March 2015, as well, to share findings. Perhaps you would like to attend as a speaker, delegate or performer. We already have a range of very exciting invited speakers, so it is set to be a fantastic two-day event. Please visit our conference web page (link below) or contact our Conference Administrator, Robert Mitchell at r.mitchell at ioe.ac.uk<mailto:r.mitchell at ioe.ac.uk> for more information.

http://vimusicians.ioe.ac.uk/confer_train.html

http://vimusicians.ioe.ac.uk/part_remarks.html

Thank you for all your support with this project. I am very grateful and hope to meet some of you at the conference.

With all good wishes,

David

Dr. David Baker
Principal Investigator, VIML
Room 628A
Department of Culture, Communication and Media
Institute of Education, University of London
20 Bedford Way
London WC1H 0AL
E-mail: david.baker at ioe.ac.uk<mailto:david.baker at ioe.ac.uk>
Profile: http://research.ioe.ac.uk/portal/en/persons/david-baker(927ee411-458a-4386-ab65-ed24d49ebca9).html
"Visually-impaired musicians' lives" (VIML) project website: http://vimusicians.ioe.ac.uk<http://vimusicians.ioe.ac.uk/<https://staff.ioe.ac.uk/owa/UrlBlockedError.aspx>>
Read David's book chapters in Developing the Musician (Mary Stakelum, Ed.): http://www.ashgate.com/isbn/9781472403940
Recent articles by David: http://rsm.sagepub.com/content/35/2/141.full.pdf+html and https://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=9213204&fulltextType=RA&fileId=S0265051714000072