[musictlk] Blind author/singer-songwriter needs a bit of your time to help advance diversity in young adult literature

Linda Mentink via musictlk musictlk at nfbnet.org
Tue Jun 3 02:32:05 UTC 2014

This is from a friend. Please help her if you can.

Are you familiar with the diversity watchdog
group "Diversity in YA?" They track the
Publishers Weekly bestsellers list for Young
Adult novels with main characters and authors
representing minorities. Their report for 2013
found no blind main characters and no blind authors. To read the report, go to:

http://www.diversityinya.com/2014/03/diversity-in-publishers-weeklys-2013-young-adult-bestsellers/#more-3170

My interviews and interactions with other blind
women authors of fiction, along with my own
experiences, suggest that we  are routinely
rejected by the mainstream publishing industry,
which calls our portrayals of blind girls and
women "unrealistic." The public, we are told,
will not accept an independent and resourceful blind female character.

My hope is that, if junior high and older
students read books featuring realistic blind
characters, they will be more likely to be
inclusive as adults. Despite the law, blind
students are still denied course material in
accessible formats, and unemployment of otherwise
able-bodied blind Americans -- regardless of
their skills and education -- is higher than for
any other minority. Especially for a
low-incidence disability like blindness, books
are crucial in creating a sense of familiarity
and acceptance in the general public.

We just passed the first anniversary of the
publication of my novel, The Heart of Applebutter
Hill. My husband Rich was in and out of the
hospital for over six months and is still
suffering from the damage caused by Central
Nervous System Lyme disease. We are doing what we
can to promote the book, but we really need your
help. I'm not asking you to buy anything.

The book is available through Bookshare. What I
need is for you to read it and to write a review
on Amazon by August 15. All you need is an Amazon
account and enough time between now and the
middle of August to read and review a novel. You
would be helping me personally, as well as
promoting diversity, since the book features a
legally blind heroine and a secondary character
who is totally blind, along with  other
characters with disabilities and other
differences. The heroine, Abigail, is a
14-year-old shy singer-songwriter, who is just
learning Braille and assistive technology.
Several songs come together in the course of the
book. One tag line is, "Mighty oak trees are
nothing but little nuts who stood their ground."

The Heart of Applebutter Hill has received
recommendations from professionals in the fields
of education, rehabilitation and the arts as a
diversity and anti-bullying classroom resource.
You will recognize several Federationists. Their comments are at:

http://donnawhill.com/recommenders-of-the-heart-of-applebutter-hill/

Several publications that may interest you
recently ran articles about me. In April, The
Daisy Planet (published by the DAISY Consortium)
ran the first of a two-part series on me:

http://www.daisy.org/stories/donna-hill-part-1

Part #2 was recently posted at:

http://www.daisy.org/stories/donna-hill-part-2

May 28, 2014

Georgia Center for the Visually Impaired, Sightseeing blog

"Me, Braille and the Heart of Applebutter Hill"

http://www.cviga.org/sightseeing/safe_sight_braille_applebutter/?noticeId=0x4b207ee5f11aec1f&contactId=0xc1ce890b5ee45fa7

On April 7, 2014, About.com assistive technology
expert Andrew Leibs reviewed my novel and published:

"Fantasy Novel Keeps it Real When Portraying Assistive Technology"

http://assistivetechnology.about.com/b/2014/04/07/fantasy-novel-keeps-it-real-when-portraying-assistive-technology.htm

Available electronic formats of The Heart of
Applebutter Hill include .mobi (Kindle), .epub
(Apple, Blio, Nook, Sony, etc.), .pdf, .rtf, .pdb
and .lrf. To get yours, send me the name of your
e-reader or the file-type you prefer. If you
don't have an e-reader, there are free apps such
as Kindle for PC and Adobe Digital Editions which
allow you to read .mobi and .epub books on your
computer. The .pdf and .rtf versions work on
virtually any computer and devices like the
Victor Reader Stream and Booksense.

Once you've read it, rate it on Amazon at:

http://www.amazon.com/books/dp/1483948226

This would help me, because there are free
promotional resources for indie authors, but they
only help people who have a minimum of 25 Amazon
reviews with an average rating of 4.2. I have the
rating, but have nowhere near enough reviews.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Sincerely,

Donna

-- The Heart of Applebutter Hill - a novel on a mission:

<http://donnawhill.com/>http://DonnaWHill.com