[musictlk] [Perform-talk] Something I'm wanting to do!

Marion Gwizdala via musictlk musictlk at nfbnet.org
Tue Jun 3 11:37:48 UTC 2014

Timothy,
	Who would train these idnividuals you intend to blindfold on the
nonvisual techniques used by the blind so that they don't think the
helplessness they experience blindfolded and without alternative techniques
is what it is like to be blind. Blindfolding sighted people without training
them on nonvisual techniques only serves to promulgate the myths and
stereotypes of helplessness and dependency held by the public. Perhaps a
better technique is to not blindfold them at all; just give them a white
cane and let others believe they are blind so they can experience the rude
and discriminatory manner in which we are treated!

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala