[musictlk] Piano chords

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 16:50:24 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Marissa:  As explained, an open fifth is just the same as an interval
of a 5th.  Think of it like this; in C major, you would play C, E, and
G as a root chord.  Take out the E, and that's the open 5th.  It just
has a slightly more open sound, but is more commonly used in pop
stuff.  Inverted chords are just chords in different positions.  Going
back to the C chord as an example, (C, E, and G), if you were to put
it in first inversion you would take the C from the bottom of the
chord and flip it to the top.  A C chord in first inversion would be
E, G, and C.  Second inversion is the same, only with the G on the
bottom; G, C, and E.  Then you just go back to root position C, E, G.

Winona, I learned a lot of chord reading from How to Read Braille
Music.  This book is really helpful, and I'd highly recommend getting
it so you can keep it around for quick reference.  I also like it
because it has an index of the back you can use if you don't want to
flip through the pages to find the long explanation.

HTH

--
Kaiti