[musictlk] Music software

Kenneth Downey kenwdowney at me.com
Mon Mar 31 18:23:47 UTC 2014

The sonifier I coeated uses Goldwave, a sound editor for Windows. It's basically just a mathematical expression. If you have Goldwave, I can send you the exsression and
 you can tzpe it in. It's a bit of a tricky process because you have to slow down the wave file to the speed necessary for hearing the changes inthe file. Right now, though, it's the only ostion available as far as I know.
Goldwave can also save files in text format, which is just a list of amplitudes in text format. If there is enough interest I can create a poogram in vb 6 that sonifies these text files, but I'm not sure if there is a need or if it's even practical. Like I said, the real need is frequency analxsis and synthesis.
As far as Garage Band goes, I have the iOs version, but don't have a mac, but the musicians I know say that Logic is way better. They are sighted though, so I'm wondering how accessible it is. Also I'm wondering how accessible Digital Performer is?

Typed with MBraille… Yet another powerful tool for iPhone

> On Mar 31, 2014, at 7:53 AM, Sandra Gayer <sandragayer7 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Kenneth,
> I would be extremely interested in your Sonifier. Let me know when
> you'd like some testers!
>
> Very best wishes,
> Sandra.
>
>> On 3/31/14, josh lester <jlestermusic at gmail.com> wrote:
>> For good synthesis, get the Mac and you can use Garageband!
>> Blessings, Joshua
>>
>>> On 3/31/14, Kenneth Downey <kenwdowney at me.com> wrote:
>>> I have noticed over the years that there is very little music software
>>> for
>>> the blind. Yes, we have sequencers like QWS and Sonar, and the Dancing
>>> Dots
>>> software for braille music, but there are some things I would really like
>>> be able to do, and I'm wondering if any of you have ideas on this.
>>> 1. Synthesis. On one hand, VST hosts, at least the ones I know about, do
>>> everything graphically, so even though you   can load a soft synth like
>>> Hypersonic into memory, you're not likely to be able to do much with it
>>> except play the preassigned patches and soundscapes, unless you want to
>>> just
>>> experimentally click around with the mouse. A really good examlle, using
>>> Hypersonic 2, is modulation speed. While you can adjust a lot of
>>> variables
>>> with knobs, switches and buttons on a MIDI keyboard, you can't adjust the
>>> speed of vibrato, because it's generally not something assigned to a MIDI
>>> CC
>>> number. Audacity has a wonderful nongraphical interface for VST plugins,
>>> but
>>> to my knowledge it can not be used to play MIDI live.
>>> 2. Other programs, like Synth Edit, just aren't accessible, at least to
>>> my
>>> knowledge. While it's true that, through programs like CHUCK, sounds can