[musictlk] voice teacher search

Kelsey Nicolay piano.girl0299 at gmail.com
Tue May 13 20:27:24 UTC 2014

Hello,
I am in the process of searching for a new voice teacher (I had
to stop lessons due to personal reasons), but I might start up
again in the fall.  I've drafted an email to a prospective
teacher.  Could you guys review it and let me know how I can make
it better? I know there's one word I'm not sure how to spell and
you'll probably see it.  I want to come across as professional in
my communications with this person.
Hi Kathy,
I think I may have contacted you before about voice lessons.  I
am not looking to start lessons at this time, but I'm just trying
to get an idea of available teachers and teaching styles.  I have
a few questions for you to help me in this matter.  First, how
much do you charge for lessons and do you offer any discounts?
Second, where is your studio located? Are you willing to travel
to another location for the lesson? I am in a community choir
from September to December and from February to May and we
practice at the Medina Prespreterian Church at 7:00.  If there is
a room available, would you be willing to do the lesson there
before rehearsal? Third, do you offer trial lessons for new
students? Fourth, what should I expect to happen in the first
lesson? Fifth, what kinds of music do your students typically
sing? I'm interested in either musical theater or pop, is this a
possibility? Sixth, would you be comfortable teaching a student
who is blind? I read Braille music and would need hands-on
demonstrations of everything you demonstrate.  I have studied
before though.  Seventh, about how many voice students do you
currently have? Do you offer any form of a studio class which
allows students to perform for one another? Do you hold recitals?
If so, how often and when and where? Finally, do you help
students with their choir music if needed? Again, I'm not looking
to start at this time, rather just exploring my options.  Thank
you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Thanks in advance,
Kelsey Nicolay