[musictlk] question about posture

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 15:54:25 UTC 2014

Pauleen, you can just use a standard music stand to hold the braille
music.  A choir program should have them on-hand.  Like Linda and I
have stated before, all you have to do is flip the stand around or
flatten it (sighted readers will keep the stand mostly vertical with a
slight tilt so the page is held in front of them).  Modifying the
stand angle to make it comfortable for a braille reader is pretty
easy, and can be done in a variety of ways to suit the person's
preference.

I would highly encourage you to learn to read braille with one hand.
I have to say that I had a TVI who was a stickler about the 2-hand
method, but when it came to music and I had to hold the braille
against one arm (usually my left like I would carry a book), and read
with my right, I got to be pretty fast and accurate about it.  Now I
read everything only with my right hand, and find that the left just
gets in the way and slows me down.  If you're reading a straight line,
there really is no reason why you would need your left hand to track.
This can be especially useful when you can use your left hand to make
page turns, and can therefore reduce the amount of time you fall
behind the choir as you keep singing.

--
Kaiti