[musictlk] piano question

Sandra Gayer sandragayer7 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 18:54:40 UTC 2014

Hello Kelsey,
It sounds as though your teacher was just repeating what he/she was
taught. The only thing which would make sense is the rule during the
baroque period which stated that your thumbs shouldn't be used at all.
This relates to women playing the harpsichord as it was unbecoming for
a lady to use her thumbs. Did you ask your piano teacher for his/her
reasons? There aren't any technical ones for not using your thumb or
little finger on the black notes. They are the shortest digits and,
therefore, it's the most difficult to reach the black notes with them
but that is resolved by placing your fingers further in so that you
can reach the black notes with all fingers and thumbs.

Very best wishes,
Sandra.