[musictlk] struggling with high notes

Kelsey Nicolay piano.girl0299 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 02:40:18 UTC 2014

Hello,
I know this is not related to blindness, but I could use some
advice.  I am in a community choir and really enjoy it.  I've
made a lot of good friends.  However, in several of our pieces,
the altos have to sing some notes that a soprano would normally
sing.  I sing second alto, so I am struggling quite a bit.  When
I say high notes, I mean notes in the fifth octave.  We have
several fifth octave D's and E's.  I try to sing the notes, but
it seems I just cannot get up there.  I cannot afford a voice
teacher right now except maybe one lesson a month.  I think I am
breathing correctly, but it's difficult to tell since we sit for
90 percent of rehearsal.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how
to not struggle so much on the high notes? Should I talk to the
director and see if he will allow me to sing tenor on those
notes? I would appreciate any suggestions anyone might have.
Thanks,
Kelsey Nicolay