[musictlk] struggling with high notes

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Tue Sep 16 09:25:35 UTC 2014

Kelsey,

	You seem to be getting some really great advice and would like to
offer some, as well. I once thought I was a baritone; however, by pressing
the limits of my range I have extended it to a comfortable F#, sometimes a
G, and when I am really warmed-up in the middle of a performance and feeling
really relaxed and confident, I have even found a G# or A!

	This being said, think about the pipes on a pipe organ. The great
big bass pipes need a lot of air to fill them and sound their notes, so they
need a lot of flow, as well to produce the volume to be heard. The smaller
pipes need very little air to fill them and, because of their pitch, need
very little volume to be heard.

	Someone suggested bending your knees when hitting the high notes.
This works well because most people do the opposite when hitting high notes
- they actually seem to try to stretch their bodies up to the note which
only serves to restrict the pipe, so to speak, make it more rigid and cause
either an inability to sing the note or poor timbre. Bending the knees
reverses the stretching action in the rest of the body. Lowering the chin
also does this, as when you raise your chin like you are reaching for the
note, you constrict the vocal chords, as well.

	Warm-ups are essential, especially when singing difficult or taxing
pieces. If your director does not do warm-ups, you may want to suggest them.
If still not, do them yourself. Warm-ups do just that - they warm the vocal
chords and make them more pliable for singing thus increasing the quality of
timbre and range.

	Someone else suggested sitting more straight. When I directed a
choir, the choir members sat; however, when we sang in prep rehearsals, we
sat on the edge of the chair with their feet flat on the floor so that the
body was straight, almost like standing. When we rehearsed the whole piece,
we would always stand!

	I hope this helped!

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala