[musictlk] struggling with high notes

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Tue Sep 16 17:16:58 UTC 2014

Kelsey,

I would think this is likely a problem for other altos in your choir as well, after all, that's why they are altos and not sopranos.  <smile>  Not singing the notes you can't hit and mouthing the words is most likely what
they do.

>From my choir days many years ago, I remember that we did vocal exercises to increase our range such as singing the notes C E G higher C G E C and then doing the same thing raising it by a half step until you
get to the top of your range.  Of course, you don't have to start on C, it was just easier to write it that way.  Singing scales up and down can also work.  After you've done that a while, you might find that the top
end of your range has raised a little.  However, there limits to all of our voices, and one can probably expand one's range only so far.  Again, I would be extremely surprised if you are the only second alto
experiencing this and your director is likely assuming you will handle the problem as you can and won't say anything unless a flat note is loudly sounded.  <smile>

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson